Europe has to take the responsibility for millions of stray animals!
We claim for an animal protection law applying to all pets and stray animals in Europe to end the cruelties against those creatures living on the streets and to reduce their overpopulation.
In Brussels, on 22nd November 2011 at 12:30 PM, a delegation which represents 140 animal rights groups taking part in this action presents a petition including the following demands to Misses Mazzoni, president of the Committee on Petitions.
Initiator of this petition has been “Ärzte für Tiere e. V.” (Dogs 4 Docs). Members of the delegation are representatives of “Ärzte für Tiere e. V.” (Hans-Joachim Richter), “ETN e. V.” (Maja von Hohenzollern und Dieter Ernst), „Pfotenhilfe Europa e. V.“ (Birgitt Lewe) and „Robin Hood e. V.“ (Marion Löcker).
The European Commission must release obligatory laws to insure the right of stray animals to live an animal friendly life.
Our resulting demands:
- Prohibition of institution of killing stations – under whatever fake names
- Prohibition of any killings of stray animals without medical indication; in case of a veterinary indication the use of painless methods of euthanasia only
- Implementation of governmental vaccination and castration programmes
- Implementation of (minimum) standards for shelters
- Review of existing hunting regulations which tolerate an easy killing of pets and stray
- Prohibition of abusing stray animals for laboratory experiments
- Implementation of breeding laws for pets and limitation of commercial pet breeding
- Implementation of animal protection lessons in schools
- Obligation of identification and registration
This petition is supported by sign-up lists collected in the whole European Union, in the meantime approximately 150 000 people have already signed those. These sign-up lists will be passed to SANCO (animal health, animal protection) in February/March 2012.